Thursday, October 23, 2008

20 years apart...

Old and New

Technology as we know, gets replaced very quickly. Take for example, PC... can you possibly use any part of your PC 20 years ago for a brand new PC of today? ok, maybe u can use the casing, probably keyboard with some jack converter or the monitor huh?

Guess what? I'm amazed at 1 particular thing that's able to function beautifully as of today as it was 20 years ago. What am I talking about? Take a guess... no prize for guessing it correctly...

.
.
.
.


Nikkor 50mm f/1.4!!!

Okay probably u've guessed camera, but which part? it is the SLR lens of course. I bought Nikon's dSLR a while ago (as you all may know from my previous entry) and my dad had his Nikon SLR some 20years ago.


My dad's SLR, notice the retro design, haha...

I got curious, so I asked my dad if he remembered where he put his camera. And there he went and flip through his books on the shelf... a while later.. tada... he found it! It was tucked away nicely in a plastic bag. He took it out, gave it a scrub or two... then woala! I was amazed when I looked upon this.. anchestor of SLR. hahahahha... the divine one!

My dad checking out his camera cos I can't seem to view thru the view finder (notice the engraving words 'made in Japan', mine's made in Thailand...)

And so, initially I've tried his lens, pluck out, pluck in.. wow. surprisingly.. it fits! hahahahha, alright.. tried to snap a pic.. pressed the shutter release... er...nope... can't. the LCD screen kept reminding me that no lens has been attached. Well, I tot that my body aren't compatible with this type of old lens.. so a bummer...

It is a very good lens. 50mm Prime lens of f/1.4. okay so most of you who are not into these photography jargons.. i'll put it in simpler term. An autofocus type of this lens today costs RM1.xk. Thousand over lens so dun play play. : ) I'm delighted that it was in a good shape and no fungus was developed in the lens.

I went over to a camera shop just now and asked one of the fellow there, he taught me how to use it and I came back... took out that lens and mount it on my dslr body, made the necessary settings and I was snapping away~ wow... happy man..

Well, I'm happy that I'm able to use the lens and I hope I'll use it to capture nice moments in the future in my photography journey, I'm sure my dad are much more happier for me to use it rather than keeping it in a plastic bag.

Thanks dad, I'll put it to good use and make the lens proud! : )

Test shot, notice the shallow background... hence the nice "Bokeh" effect!

P/S: Its a shame that my dad stopped taking photography when I was growing up and he was busy taking care of the family than enjoy this only hobby of his. Aren't we all? as we grow old, we surpressed most of our hobbies because of work life... I truely hope one day I can cope my dad to go take photos with me not along side with me but together, each of us holding our own camera. that'll be a great moment for me. : )

No comments:

kindly click the tiny ad to support me~ thanx~