Monday, April 14, 2008

Food wastage

As I was having my dinner just now, flipped over pages of today's newspaper. There's 1 interesting post by the president of a consumer's association.

Then I about the title - food wastage for a while.. and got me thinking bout it. As a child, I got really spoiled by my good ol mum. Whenever I can't finish my food, i'll tell her and made a sad and innocent face then my mum will say nvm... dun eat no more. But my dad on the other hand wasn't so please as he dun encourage food wastage, my mum was trying to be easy on me. Somehow sadly this habit stuck with me for quite a while, up until the point where I managed to earn my income. Seeing how tough my job was, I learned to not waste the food I bought with my hard earn money. This eventually translated to food I got for free or 'free' whether from home cooked meal, treats from friends, etc. It just doesn't feel right to waste food anymore, and u'll beginning to think about those poor people all across the world that has little to no food eat eat daily. Some eating mudcakes as their meal... sigh. The funny thing is nowadays, whenever I follow my parent out to dine, if my mum fails to finished her food, I'll volunteer if i'm still able to finish up rather than leaving it on the table.

If I were to take the food that I want to eat, i'll just take the portion which I feel comfortable that I can finish it at that time, e.g. economic rice.

I read there's some hotel or restaurant will discard those unsold food within a few hours/ that day if those food were not sold. Some might not even permit those left over food to be taken home or eaten by their fellow staff, I understand that this is a measure to show the utmost quality the hotel or restaurant is trying to portray but isn't it another form of food wastage as well? At least they can do a better forcast of which item they should order/ produce for a certain period rather than produce them all and discard those that didn't sell.

There are some restaurant/ hotel that penalizes patrons who took more food than what they can finish for a certain amount of $. I think that in someway is good especially in those buffet style lunch or dinner.

So, what do you guys think? what is your opinion regarding food wastage?

No comments:

kindly click the tiny ad to support me~ thanx~