Monday, April 28, 2008

Old is gold

I dunno why but somehow when I was surfing the net... suddenly I thought about the 80's cartoon and those toys that I had when I was a kid.

Curious to see if anyone post any video of it..I went to Youtube check them out. Surprisingly, someone actually did and there's tonnes of them lying around too! Talk about retro.. haha.
One of my favorite was M.A.S.K. Not sure if you guys watched it before, it was aired on tv last time, which involves a group of peace loving organization (sounds so familiar) who fights crime with their special ability imbued helmet hence 'M.A.S.K.' (looks like scuba diving gear) which some I remember shoots fire and others ice perhaps. But the highlight of the series comes from the transformable vehicles these guys drive.

The good guy's leader drove a red sporty car which transformed into a airplane (or so) by opening its side doors (just like some sports car). My friend once commented that its funny that a car can fly by opening its door... LOL, well we as a kid simply didn't thought much about logic and just enjoy the show. As I browse through a compilation of toys posted in youtube it's surprisingly that I recall a number of these toys and little to I realized... I do have 7 - 8 of them! Wow, I always thought that I only have like 4 - 5 of them when I was a kid.. I was wrong then... I remember my dad bought the largest M.A.S.K. toy for me which was the Goliath. A sports car transporter which transformed into a missile launcher tower and the sports car itself transformed into a small jet. Cool!





Another one of my all time favourite is the SwitchBlade. Bad guy's leader's vehicle. Transformed from a chopper to a fighter jet. It still looks cool up till these days.

Another cartoon that I wanted to share is Starcom. Still, I'm not too sure if anyone watched it b4 or not. It involves 2 faction battling each other for a cause that I dun really care right now... lol. The thing is, they have these fighter jets which can transform by a flip of the 'Power Deploy' button. It didnt really transformed into another vehicle in most cases but they flip open a lot of latches, parts, wings and hidden weapons. The idea is pretty much like those pencil case you have when you were a kid which has these compartments that open up revealing extra slots for your pens, eraser, ruler, pencil sharpener, etc. It's really cool, and the best thing bout it -> no batteries were needed as they kinda use a spring mechanism to spring those parts. How do I know?


A small sample of the toy in action

I once had a malfunctioned toy and out of curiousity, I opened it up hoping to fix it and saw the internal working parts of the toy. Sorry to say I didn't managed to fix it in the end but my good ol' mum bought me another one of it. Haha...


And if anyone cares... check out the product promo in the 1988

Another good part bout starcom toys is that the pilot figure that comes with the toy features magnetic shoes that able to attach to some magnet mounted on the vehicle as well. I remember sticking the jet and pilot on the surface of my fridge! hahahahahhaa

Judging from these 2 types of cartoon you can see that I'm a big fan for those transformable things. Transformers being the top of my favorite series and its good to say that its still up and running till these days. They just don't make these types of toys anymore. Kids nowadays are more keen to play PC or video games, but the toys industry isn't dying just yet with strong sales from the recently hit movie Transformers.

I'm happy to say that I once experience the 'transition state' before. Meaning, the era before video games was so mainstream and toys were much more popular. Some of the older generation people might not fully grasp the PC and video gaming today whereas the kids these days might not play much of those traditional toys but favor more digital entertainment for their pleasure. I for one embraced both of them but growing apart as I'm getting older... : ) What about you guys? What's your story...?

1 comment:

shirlene said...

Did I tell you I use to own the helicopter, motor that can fire the passenger side into submarine and the red car that can fly. Hand me downs from my super rich cousin. He switched to transformers then. Although I remember the toys their name eludes me. Nostalgic.

kindly click the tiny ad to support me~ thanx~