Saturday, July 19, 2008

Dinner at Ms Saigon

Went for a dinner at E-Gate's Vietnamese restaurant - Miss Saigon. I've never actually been to any Vietnamese restaurant before nor I have tasted any Vietnamese dishes elsewhere, so this will be my first try.

Actually we didn't look at the menu outside of the restaurant, just headed straight in...

Walls deco

Wooden table and chairs

Wall lighting, a bit dim but not too dark

The deco for the place looks quite nice, although I didn't really notice anything that resembles Vietnamese. Everything looks modern, with lighting all over the ceiling, wooden chairs and tables.

Even the utensils are made of wood, nice touch

Kitchen Area and Cashier counter, nothing Vietnamese here either...

The manager seated us in a 5 person's table and handed us the menu. Initially I wanted to try out just individual set meals (as I always would) but then the manager insisted that we try out some in house recommendation. And so we did, ordered 3 different Vietnamese dishes and 1 Vietnamese drink.

Behold, the lemon grass drink... tasted a bit sweet (not too sweet) and smells quite nice, like drinking fragrance. Recommended for a taste

The rolls platter (not the actual dish name)

Erm, the platter recommended by manager. I forgot the dish's name but it has 4 vegetable rolls (I actually typed vege rows, omg... worked till short circuit.. =_=!) . Vegetable rolls tasted quite okay but I think they included a kinda 'smelly' vege which I can't quite stand the taste inside, so yucky for me but it's unique. Next, 2 more rolls that looks like spring rolls here and tasted quite okay with the crunchy wrapping which is very crunchy compared to our local spring roll's wrapping, this dish accompanied by sweet and sour sauce.

The emperor's noodle

I think that's what the menu saids, it featured crunchy noodle shaped noodle, shrimps, scallops topped in a kind of sauce (looks and tasted a bit like char hor fun's sauce)... slightly slimy... overall quite nice...

Last dish of the main courses was this... cat fish

Cat fish dish had the cat fishes chunks fried and wrapped inside 'pandan' leaves. Tasted quite nice but a bit bland for me, so I dipped them into the sweet and sour sauce. It has some vege dressing and the side and some cauliflowers accompanied by a scoop of fried rice. I must say that the fried rice doesn't taste sweet or salty at all, in fact almost no taste but it does have smell, quite nice fragrance. A bit unique, unlike the fried rice we normally have.

Apple Pie dessert with 2 mini cherries

As we're done with our main courses the manager saw we snapped a lot of photos along the way then suggested we try out their dessert which we ordred. He said "when the dessert comes, I guaranteed that your camera will starts snapping..." well manager my man, even if it was bland or good or bad, I'll snap it anyway and post it here. hahahhaa, so better make sure it looks and taste good. It was the apple pie dessert. Looks nice, tasted okay for me as I'm not a big fan of warm fruity desert.

Overall, the above meal with 2 lemon grass drinks and 1 cup of plain water costs around RM10x over. A bit expensive but expected from such fine dining restaurant. Worth a shot if you wanted to try out some Vietnamese cuisines. Check it out, It's just a few shops after Old Town cafe at E-Gate.

Have a great weekend ahead! ; )

2 comments:

yuki tenshi said...

hmm...
the last time i had vietnamese food was a few years back in KL... somewhere in 1-u...
might try out this 1... hardly can get a vietnamese restaurant in Pg... but it's kinda exp...swt

Kit Keat Bar said...

yeah, go with a bunch of friends.. share share lo. each taste a bit bit can le... no need to eat full if u only wanna sample the flavor.

kindly click the tiny ad to support me~ thanx~